Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/70216296[/vimeo]
News of a just-published study titled “Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial” has been covered in the mainstream media over the last several days, leading to many online discussions and quite a bit of confusion. In this video, Dr. Deanna Minich and Dr. Jeffrey Bland discuss what is known about this research by Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and also how the information should be put into context when considering the broad spectrum of information that is available about essential fatty acids.
1. Willett WC. Specific fatty acids and risks of breast cancer and prostate cancer: dietary intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;66(6 Suppl):1557S-1563S.
2. Leiztmann MF, Stampfer MJ, Michaud DS, Augustsson K, Colditz GC, Willett WC, Giovannucci EL. Dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and the risk of prostate cancer. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;80(1):204-216.
3. Hamazaki K, Higashihara E, Terachi T, Takada H, Matsuda T, et al. The effect of eicosapentaenoic acid on prostate-specific antigen. In Vivo. 2006;20(3):397-401.
4. Niijima I, Koiso K. Incidence of prostatic cancer in Japan and Asia. Scand J Urol Nephrol Suppl. 1980;55:17-21.
5. Katanoda K, Matsuda T, Matsuda A, Shibata A, Nishino Y, et al. An updated report of the trends in cancer incidence and mortality in Japan. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2013;43(5):492-507.
1. Nguyen EV. Cancer in Asian American males: epidemiology, causes, prevention, and early detection. Asian Am Pac Isl J Health. 2003 Summer-Autumn;10(2):86-99.
2. Marks LS, Kojima M, Demarzo A, Heber D, Bostwick DG, et al. Prostate cancer in native Japanese and Japanese-American men: effects of dietary differences on prostatic tissue. Urology. 2004;64(4):765-771.
3. Parks SY, Wilkens LR, Henning SM, Le Marchand L, Gao K, et al. Circulating fatty acids and prostate cancer risk in nested case-control study: the Multiethnic Cohort. Cancer Causes Control. 2009;20(2):211-223.
4. Maskarinec G, Noh JJ. The effect of migration on cancer incidence among Japanese in Hawaii. Ethn Dis. 2004 Summer;14(3):431-439.